The benefits of doga are many…
Doga was unofficially invented in 2012 by yoga teacher, Mahny Djahanguiri in London. As a yogi and a dog mom, she wanted to include her dog, Robbie, in her practice. Doga is humans practicing yoga in a way that allows connection with their dog. Your calm energy is absorbed by your dog, and synchronization in breath and movements are absolutely possible.
Doga is beneficial for humans and canines alike:
- Builds trust
- Enhances the natural bond
- Reduces anxiety
- Improves sleep
- Lowers blood pressure
- Increases awareness and mindfulness
In Kristin’s doga class, mats are arranged to give dogs their space. Dogs can be on or off leash at the discretion of the parent. At the beginning of class, Kristin will introduce some dog massage techniques. This really allows for you and your dog to settle into the space, creating a calm, relaxed atmosphere. If you’re calm, the dogs will follow suit! The majority of the class is filled with yoga postures and sequences that allow for connection and bonding. The final few minutes are spent relaxing in savasana with your dog.
Know before you go
- No prior yoga experience necessary!
- Bring a mat, water bottle and open mind! (treats might be helpful also!)
- One dog per person, please (friends and family members are welcome to join without a dog if they wish).
- Dogs must be spayed/neutered and current with their rabies vaccination.
- Dogs shouldn’t be forced to participate. If they’re not into it, get up and stroll around, take a break, and/or move to a different location in the room.
- Just like humans, dogs need practice with doga – with each exposure they’ll know better what to expect and become more comfortable. Don’t expect perfection right out of the gate.
- Accidents happen! No biggie. Cleaning supplies are available in the room.
Cost, class times, locations & registration
Our inaugural, live streaming, 40-minute class starts on Sunday, April 19 at 6:30 p.m. Central and is FREE! Go to Zoom.us to register, select JOIN A MEETING and enter meeting ID: 737-1859-9680. Please join the class 5-10 minutes before start time.
Please check Events for opportunities to experience doga at upcoming events once COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted.
If you are interested in a arranging a private session or would like to bring the experience of doga to an event in the Twin Cities, MN, give us a howl!